What is an alteration?
According to the 2016 Reference Appendices for 2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standards an alteration is defined as below:
ALTERATION is any change to a building's water-heating system, space-conditioning system, lighting system, or envelope that is not an addition. Alteration is also any change that is regulated by Part 6 to an outdoor lighting system that is not an addition. Alteration is also any change that is regulated by Part 6 to signs located either indoors or outdoors.
Alteration examples include:
- Adding ceiling or roof insulation to an existing roof, or constructing a new roof on an existing building.
- Replacing the roof sheathing of an existing roof.
- Replacing part or the entire roof surface of an existing building.
- Replacing or adding skylights.
- Adding exterior wall insulation, or constructing new walls in an existing building.
- Adding raised floor insulation over unconditioned space.
- Replacing vertical fenestration: windows, clerestories, and glazed doors.
- Adding vertical fenestration: windows, clerestories, and glazed doors.
An alteration is not to be confused with an addition.
What is an addition?
According to the 2016 Reference Appendices for 2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standards an addition is defined as below:
ADDITION is any change to a building that increases conditioned floor area and conditioned volume.Addition is also any change that increases the floor area and volume of an unconditioned building of anoccupancy group or type regulated by Part 6. Addition is also any change that increases the illuminatedarea of an outdoor lighting application regulated by Part 6.
How is Energy Compliance met for an alteration?
Energy compliance can be achieved via Prescriptive Method, however: Every applicable prescriptive alteration requirement must be met to use the prescriptive approach; otherwise, the building must comply using a Performance Approach.
The energy code regarding alterations is very detailed. It is best to contact a Certified Energy Consultant who has proven through testing to have obtained a detailed knowledge of California's Energy Code. This choice will definitely save time.
As always, I am available to discuss the process of meeting the California Energy Code for any building project. Contact me …